School vacation week is upon us! I've put together this handy list of 19 things to do (mostly) in the Westfield/Southwick/Agawam/West Springfield area. Have a great week with your family!
1. Paint some pottery. Did you know Potterville Pottery in West Springfield will be closing its doors to the general public on May 1st?! They are having a huge clearance sale-pottery is 60% off! Help support them in their final days. Details can be found here!
2. Visit some animals. Whip City Farm and Sanctuary in Westfield offers visiting hours every Sunday from 12-2 to see their animals. Details can be found here. Firefly Fields in Southwick allows families to purchase private farm visits for $10 a person this week to see and feed animals. Click here for details
3. Try snowshoeing. Noble View Outdoor Center has converted their miles of hiking trails into snowshoeing and cross country skiing trails-details and a map can be found here
4. Make a craft. The West Springfield Public Library is offering lots of take it and make it crafts this week for kids-pick up FREE supplies at the library-details for when to pick them up found here!
5. Eat a packzi. February 16th is Paczki Day! Pronounced punch-key, it's a Polish word for a filled donut. Celebrate by grabbing one at a local bakery or a Big Y-you know you've seen the billboards around town.
6. Explore a wildlife sanctuary for free. Every day during this week you can visit a different Mass Audubon wildlife sanctuary for free, thanks to Highland Street Foundation and New England Patriots Charitable Foundation. Registration required by clicking here.
7. Go on a winter treasure hunt. Click here for details.
8. Be Kind. Random Acts of Kindness day is February 17th. Hold the door, say thank you, you get the idea.
9. Take a day trip to Boston. The New England Aquarium and Boston Science Museum both reopened this month for pre-purchased scheduled visits! They still have lots of availability later in the week-click here (NEAQ) and here (MOS) for tickets
10. Be a ninja. Roots Gymnastic Center is offering your 6-12 year old a chance to be a ninja on February 19th 9-12:30. Click here to register.
11. Ice skate on a pond-Piper's Pond is opened daily till dusk (lights turn off at 10!) for free ice skating. Check curret pond conditions here before heading out by clicking here.
12. Committ to be Fit-Last chance to sign up for the Westfield YMCA's Family fit program starting next week!
13. Go for an ice sculpture walk in downtown Springfield starting February 16th. Click here for a map of the over a dozen ice sculptures you can see during this "Ice Invasion"
14. Bowl. Agawam Bowl offers candlepin bowling which is perfect for kids' small hands. They are open daily during school vacation week!
15. Learn about science with these fun activities in our area.
16. Enjoy a "Parent's night out" Drop your kids off for some gymnastics, swimming and movie fun while you take a break from them! Click here to register!
17. Play with snow in your house. Click here for some ideas!
19. Go sledding. For a list of local sledding spots click here!
To get this article and tons more like it, sign up for our FREE family-friendly event calendar and newsletter for Westfield, Southwick, Agawam & surrounding areas by clicking HERE!